Protecting Our Children’s Education
As a former third grade teacher and adjunct professor, I understand that every child deserves access to a quality education with adequate resources and supplies. Far too long our teachers and school districts have been asked to do more with less funding. As your State Senator, I will:
- Fight to end cuts to public education funding
- Fight for smaller classroom sizes with additional resources for students in need
- Work to increase fair per-pupil funding for all students with additional resources for at-risks students
- Always put students and teachers first
Fighting for Lower Insurance
We have paid excessive rates for auto insurance for far too long. Many residents pay more for their insurance than their car is worth, or simply can’t afford insurance. As your State Senator, I will:
- Work to stop red-lining and the use of zip codes, credit scores, education, and occupation for determining insurance rates
- Fight for lower auto insurance rates for our communities
Standing Up for Our Seniors
At an early age, I learned what it was like to care for a disabled family member. During my twenties and thirties, when my grandfather suffered several strokes, I became one of his caregivers. As a result, I understand the issues that our seniors face. As your State Senator, I will:
- Fight to end senior pension tax
- Work to increase funding for Meals on Wheels and other programs that benefit our senior community
Restoring Revenue Sharing for Residents
Our municipalities have received less and less from the state in revenue sharing. Over the last 14 years, our municipalities have lost over $1 billion in revenue sharing but have been required to provide city services at the same levels. Our municipalities depend on revenue sharing to provide adequate city services. As your State Senator, I will fight to restore our revenue sharing to the level needed to provide quality services to our residents.
Investing in Our Economy
In order to grow our economy, we must ensure that all Michigan residents have a path to a good education, skilled trades, and jobs. As your next State Senator, I will:
- Support small businesses that create jobs that allow Michigan residents to earn a good living wage
- Work to raise the minimum wage
Standing up for Women
Raised by a single mother, I’ve seen first-hand the many issues that women are confronted with, yet they overcome. As your next State Senator, I will fight for you!
Equal Work/Equal Pay
It is sad that in 2017, women still earn less pay than men for the same work. Women have to work into April of the New Year in order to earn what men earned in the previous year. As your State Senator, I will fight to ensure that women receive equal pay for equal work as men.
Paid Sick Time
Often times, women are forced to stay home to take care of a sick family member leaving them stressed about losing money out of their paycheck or losing their job. As your State Senator, I will work to require paid sick leave for every worker in Michigan.
Healthcare is key to women’s well-being and economic stability. As your State Senator, I will work to ensure that healthcare laws keep working for women ― and that women’s health decisions are kept between a women and her doctor, not politicians.
Fighting for a Stronger